Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
November 12, 2011 § Leave a Comment
Chocolate and peanut butter. Match made in heaven? I think so. This is such a popular combination and I’m surprised I haven’t tried these before now. Start off with your favorite chocolate cake batter for the cupcakes and then top with this dreamy, creamy peanut butter frosting and sprinkle with chopped Reese’s cups!
Flavor: The peanut butter frosting doesn’t use too much peanut butter but you definitely can taste it. This frosting is not too overly sweet. Cupcakes have a rick chocolate taste without being too sweet.
Texture: The frosting is silky. The cake is super moist.
Skill Level: Easy. One of the easiest frosting recipes. One bowl cupcake recipe!
Expense: Simple household ingredients! $0.20 per cupcake for cake, and $0.40-0.55 per cupcake for frosting.*
Peanut Butter Buttercream
Source: My Baking Addiction
Yields frosting for 24 cupcakes
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6-8 tablespoons heavy cream (if using milk, amount will be less)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter on medium speed until fluffy. Turn your mixer down to low speed and slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
2. Add vanilla and 4 tablespoons of heavy cream. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 1 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy
3. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and finish with chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.
- This is a crusting buttercream – woo hoo!
- I used a Wilton 1A tip to pipe the frosting.
- Place a frozen mini Reese’s cup on top of the batter before baking for a filled cupcake!
*Depends on cost of ingredients.